Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dad is really gone...



Okay, this totally stinks... I thought I would be stronger, but when it came time for him to leave today, I didn't do so good. I found strength in shoveling the sidewalks, chipping at the ice, and putting our past due Christmas garland away, as the tears dripped down my face and slowly froze. He is driving with another guy from work and so thank goodness he is not alone. They are towing Dave's Blazer behind the Yukon they are riding in. It will be a long drive for him...2,600 miles or so to Maryland. He should get there by Monday and he will then start work on Wednesday, the 13th. Dave and I hate being apart. The only other two times we have been away from each other in 12 1/2 years was the two years on his mission, and then when i was pregnant with Alaina for 5 months for some schooling in Virginia. We vowed then we wouldn't do it again, but here we are. Laina cried the whole time daddy was packing the car saying, "Daddy isn't going to live with us anymore? He is going to have a new home?" It about killed both of us... Cory tried hard to be strong saying, "Laina, he will be back for your birthday and i will be the man of the house and take care of you and mom." Many people go through this and props to all those whose spouses serve in the military. I couldn't do it as well as you all do. One thing is for sure, it will be one heck of a reunion in June when he comes home!! We love you daddy so much...

8 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Dang, you're breakin' my heart, girl! I'm so sorry that life hands us things like things to deal with. I wish it could all be rosey all the time, but, DANG IT... we couldn't have TESTimonies if we didn't have TESTS!!! This is going to be a great test for your family and I know you will pass with flying colors because you are all incredible people!
love ya!

Audrey said...

Your a little ROCK STAR!

Bunnell's said...

Girl....I am so sorry!!! You made me reflect upon those gut wrenching feelings...like someone hit you and knocked the wind out of ya...I wandered around in a daze for several days...It does get better with a routine...It helped me get through it:) You are awesome!!! I have a feeling that you will come out on top and most likely even better:) We love ya...Give us a call...

Karl Bunnell said...

Hey Sis, Sniff...sniff...hearing what little Laina said is a bit heart wrenching. Have her draw a daily picture of what she is doing and post it to Daddy. He's really only a click away. :)
We'll miss our cabin-sledding tradition this year! As always, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Tuber said...

Missy....aaaahhhh, this makes me want to cry. Ok, maybe I did cry, but I was alone in my office so who needs to know? David, we are thinking of you! Please send me your phone number via email so that I can call you. I would like to touch base. Perhaps even a regular call with the family through a toll free service, conference line. I will send out more details. Talk to you soon. We love you!

Rivka said...

Melissa,

I'm blog-stalking you off of Bonnie's blog. Your kids are adorable! Burke and I were apart for 7 months of the last two years of med school and it sucked every day! I'm so sorry. Sounds like Cory's going to take care of you all though. What a brave little man!

Bon said...

What are you two apart for? Work? It does bring back those feelings of the four months I was alone! It is hard but definitely makes you appreciate each other more!:) We will be prayin' for ya!

bv said...

Melissa, While I realize that we do not know each other at all I was checking out your blog after reading Clancy's post about the darling skirts you sewed! This post was heart breaking and added so much perspective to my day already. I hope all is well!

bv